The Fight to Combat Structural Racism
Racism Is a Public Health Crisis.
The County passed legislation in July declaring racism as a public health crisis—and this declaration expresses our intent to address the impact of racism in our community.
In Cuyahoga County, Black people represent:
- 30.5% of the population
- 40% of COVID-19 diagnoses
- 45% of all hospital admissions
- 45% of COVID-related Intensive Care Unit admissions.
The Citizens’ Advisory Council and the County Equity Commission have been directed to review, focus, and provide recommendations to reduce the disparity between Black and white people when it comes to:
- The criminal justice system
- Healthy food
- Safe and affordable housing
- Well-paying jobs
- Business ownership opportunities
- Quality transportation
- Educational opportunities
- Safe places to be active