Make a plan today. Your family may not be together if a disaster strikes.
Make a Plan
- How will I receive emergency alerts and warnings?
- What is my evacuation route?
- What is my family/household communication plan?
- Know which types of disasters could affect your area.
- Tailor your plans and supplies to your specific daily living needs and responsibilities.
- Create your own personal network for areas where you need assistance.
- Discuss how people in your network can assist each other with communication, care of children, business, pets or specific needs like operating medical equipment.
- Know how you’ll contact one another and reconnect if separated.
- Establish a family meeting place that’s familiar and easy to find.
- Responsibilities for assisting others.
- Dietary needs.
- Medical needs including prescriptions and equipment.
- Disabilities or access and functional needs including devices and equipment.
- Languages spoken.
- Cultural and religious considerations.
- Pets or service animals.
Make a Kit
- Water: one gallon per day per person
- Food: Non-Perishable
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First Aid Kit
- Prescription Medications and glasses
- Signal Whistle
- Dust Mask
- Personal Sanitation Items
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Can Opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
- Local Maps
- For more ideas, visit at-a-glance.?