Sustainable Stores Grant Overview
Applications must be submitted by 4:00 PM on Wednesday, March 15, 2023.
The Cuyahoga County Departments of Consumer Affairs and Sustainability, with support from the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District, invite retailers to apply for the Sustainable Stores Grant. The grant was developed to help local retail stores be more environmentally sustainable and comply with the Disposable Bag Ban.
Grants of up to $5,000 are available to:
- Support retailers’ efforts to eliminate plastic checkout bags from their operations;
- Educate consumers and retailers about the County's Disposable Bag Ordinance; and
- Establish a consumer culture of reusable woven bag use for all shopping trips in Cuyahoga County.
The goal of this program is to eliminate plastic bags from retailer checkouts.
- All applications, regardless of project scope, must include a plan to phase out plastic checkout bags.
- To reduce overhead costs associated with all disposable checkout bags, all grantees will be required to promote a Bring Your Own Bags (BYOBags) message to customers.
- The County will help grant recipients promote the BYOBags message and provide volunteer-staffed in-store events upon invitation.
Who Can Apply
- Locally owned, independent, employee-owned, or franchise retail stores located in Cuyahoga County, Ohio can apply. Retail stores include convenience, grocery, supermarket, service station, drug stores, and shops
- This includes convenience, grocery, supermarket, service station, drug stores, and shops.
- International and national chain stores are not eligible for these grant funds.
- Store applicants must operate in a physical/brick and mortar store location in Cuyahoga County that is open to the public.
- Preference is given to stores located in designated Equity Zones in Cuyahoga County, but all stores within the county are encouraged to apply.
- Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis, according to the evaluation criteria on the Sustainable Stores Grant Details page.
- This is a reimbursement grant, so applicants should be prepared to pay for their project, document incurred expenses, and request reimbursement from the County.
- All grants are capped at $5,000.
- Any additional project costs over the grant award amount are the responsibility of the business.
Benefits to You
- Grant recipients will be encouraged to participate in a free consultation with the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District’s Business Services staff to identify opportunities to increase sustainability strategies and save money by reducing waste.
- The County will connect grant recipients with other programs that the County offers as they become available.
- A Sustainable Stores Map is under development to celebrate and promote retailers who have eliminated plastic checkout bags from their business. Grant recipients will be included on this map as long as their business remains plastic bag free.